Monday, February 8, 2010

I married a chauvinist.

Now that's not really a fair statement. He is a lot more than that. Toby is a wonderful guy with a great attitude towards life. He treats me well and wants nothing more than to be happy. But, he is a male chauvinist.



Maybe I'm just trying to make excuses, but honestly, I don't blame him entirely for it. I blame his mother and the men she married. He grew up watching her get pushed around by men, and that's how he was taught that women are to be treated. Nobody ever told him that his mother was marrying shitty guys and didn't know how to stand up for herself.

When I say that, I don't mean that he hits me or orders me around the house or anything. He is very polite and would never lay a finger on a woman (unless they asked him too).
It's just that he automatically assumes that women are wrong. I can tell him that the sky isn't actually blue, but he doesn't believe me until a male walks in and says it's true.





I'm not sure if it's fear of a women or need to control, but it's there. And it's not just Toby either. His brother and sister that lived in that house are the same way. His brother thinks women are disposable, and every guy his sister gets with walk all over her.





I have to stop and wonder if I'm wasting my time trying to help. I try so very hard to help him see that you don't need to be a male to be intelligent and that women are equal to men and should be treated as such. But is it worth it?

I guess I need to stop and think am I in the wrong? These are my feelings on the matter, but what if I'm wrong? Who am I to decide such matters? I want everyone be treated equally, but does that mean that everyone deserves to be treated equally?

And for that matter, what if I'm just blowing this whole thing way out of proportion?




I wish life had bolder lines...
Excuse me, I need to re-analyze my life.

1 comment: